Wednesday, July 1, 2020

My personal Top ONE HUNDRED (that's 100!) Anime Openings of all time (60-41)

This list is part 3 out of 5 in an ongoing project. Check the previous two out onegaishiplease.
Part 1
Part 2


Gonna start off here with a quick little warning, kids. Always back up your important files. I damn near thought I'd lost the Excel file where I keep this entire list after reformatting a drive, but I had it backed up in the great and almighty cloud all along. Blessings upon the almighty cloud, the saviour of man.

Ok, enough of that. I'm here to list off anime openings in an only slightly improvised order, and the faster I get to that, the faster we can all go back to doing other things.

Quick recap. I only feature shows I've seen in some fashion - including dropped ones - with only one or two exceptions from shows I plan to see soon. Also, I'm biased to hell and back, so if anything seems dumb it's probably because I'm dumb.

So anyway, here's GATE.


#60 - GATE - GATE II: Sekai wo Koete

https://animethemes.moe/video/GateS2-OP1.webm
Yeah, I put fucking GATE in the top 60. What're you gonna do about it? Cry?! Okay you can cry, I don't judge.

Okay, I gotta be real with you here. This entry might as well be any OP theme done by Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets, cause they all sound like the same damn song anyway. Despite that, it's still a very cool song that deserves praise where it's due.

Visually, my only complaint is that I don't really like the grainy filter that's on for most of the OP. I feel it just sucks away color and detail for no apparent reason. Otherwise it's perfectly fine. There's loads of action and fast paced cuts that go well with the music, and sells the show's setup to the viewer perfectly well.


#59 - Haifuri - High Free Spirits

https://animethemes.moe/video/Haifuri-OP1-NCBD1080.webm
Oh, those cute girls. What cute things are they gonna do next, I wonder.

Naval combat. Fucking naval combat.

And no, this isn't your weak-ass anthropomorphized boat girl bullshit. This is girls, in the boats. The holy middle ground between KanColle and Girls und Panzer, if you will.

Okay, onto the opening itself. It's a CGDCT show, so it needs a sweet ensemble song. And that's what it's got. Animation? Looks good. Nothing to write home about, but the boats look neat and the action has visual impact in spades.

But the secret sauce here is the storyboard. The combat encounter in the second half shows us everything. Everything from spotting the enemy ship, getting coordinates and aiming the cannons properly, loading the ammunition and confirming everything is ready to fire before the captain gives the order to shoot. These details tie nicely to the show itself, where the main cast is pretty much the entire crew of the ship, each with their own duties and tasks.

Sadly, this surprisingly good series ended up buried under the mountain of quality that was the rest of the Spring 2016 season, and it flew way under the radar for many. I was surprised, then, to learn that a sequel movie released just four months ago in Japan. Good things come to those who wait, I suppose.


#58 - Natsume Yuujinchou - Ima, Kono toki 

https://animethemes.moe/video/NatsumeYuujinchouShi-OP1.webm
Here's a mostly personal pick from me. Natsume Yuujinchou was actually the first categorically iyashikei anime I watched. For those unaware, Iyashikei genreally refers to calming or soothing anime series with a focus on happy or stress-free situations. The term gained much more widespread use after 2018's Yuru Camp, featured earlier on this list at #61.

Natsume Yuujinchou however, does not shy away from stressful, melancholic, or depressing circumstances, but is rather about dealing with those and moving on to successfully create a better future. And among the series' six openings, I feel this one - belonging to the fourth season - captures that feeling best among them.

Okay, small confession. I haven't actually seen the sixth season yet, so pls no judge me if that one's OP is miles ahead of this one in quality.


#57 - World Trigger - Ashita no Hikari 

https://animethemes.moe/video/WorldTrigger-OP2.webm
Say what you woll about World Trigger. I won't argue. It certainly did have a list of issues.

Its openings, however, are not on that list. In fact, consider this entry a double. For both the series' first opening and this one. In fact, here's the link to that one too: https://animethemes.moe/video/WorldTrigger-OP1.webm. My list, my rules.

OP2 is the one I chose here for its much slicker and fluid action animation and distinct color coding for the different groups, but OP1 has the edge in the music department.

Sooo, anyone else besides me really hyped for season 2? No releae date yet, but hopefully there'll be news soon.


#56 - Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu - Let Me Hear

https://animethemes.moe/video/Kiseijuu-OP1.webm
This slaps.

As divisive as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas tracks use to be, you gotta admit this one hits it out of the park. It's perfect for an action-thriller like Kiseijuu, and the imagery only helps it along with the series' deliciously disturbing body horror.

Oh, and those drums at the start. Sick shit. And who can forget halfway through the OP when the vocalist just goes AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fucking great.


#55 - Nichijou - Hyadain no Kakakata☆Kataomoi - C

https://animethemes.moe/video/Nichijou-OP1.webm
You know what? Consider this another double entry. Choosing between Nichijou's openings is straight up impossible. Here's OP2 so you can see for yourself: https://animethemes.moe/video/Nichijou-OP2.webm

Few things are like this show. Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh may scratch the same itch, but no others do Nichijou better than Nichijou. And both openings done by Hyadain captures the distinctive feeling of one of anime's best comedies exceptionally well.


#54 - Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 - Uchuu Senkan Yamato

https://animethemes.moe/video/UchuuSenkanYamato2199-OP1.webm
Not content with simply bettering literally every aspect of the original show, this remake had the fucking balls to go ahead and utterly invalidate the original OP as well.

By faithfully recreating and modernizing the show with extreme respect for the original's script, Yamato 2199 might just be one of the best remakes of any media out there. And nowhere does it show better than in its OP. By and large, it's pretty much the same opening as the original show, just more of it. More cuts, scenes, characters, frames per second, audio tracks. It's a modern classic in every sense of the term.


#53 - Hibike! Euphonium 2 - Soundscape

https://animethemes.moe/video/HibikeEuphoniumS2-OP1-NCBD1080.webm

This opening is almost entirely black & white for its first half.

But that should be obvious, assuming you have functioning eyeballs. But that just goes to show how confident the animators were with their product. Hell, in addition to the lack of color, there's also a distinct lack of stuff going on. Like at all. The cast just sit around, playing their instruments, and each shot lingers on one person for quite a while before repeating it with another character in a different classroom.

And it's not boring to watch. That's the kicker. There's enough little things going on, from the slight shaking of the camera to the wind interacting with stuff like someone's hair or the music manuscript. And these shots are meticulously detailed, too!

And all this for just the first half. When the song ramps up and the colors come in, there's even more cuts and shots and aaaaahhhhh. It's good. Really good.


#52 - Flip Flappers - Serendipity

https://animethemes.moe/video/FlipFlappers-OP1-NCBD1080.webm
Now this? This, right here? It's a right slip slapper is what it is!

I'm honestly baffled I've ended up putting it this low on the list, considering it has everything. I mean look at this! If schmovement was a real word, you'd be damn sure this opening would be featured next to it in the dictionary.
And the music, too! ZAQ rarely ever miss, even if a lot of their songs share the same "style", so to speak.

The OPs are getting reeeeaal good now that I'm near the halfway point. Keep them bangers coming, I say!


#51 - Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou - träumerei
 
https://animethemes.moe/video/GeneiWoKakeruTaiyou-OP1.webm
If we're doing direct comparisons, I'd put this one up against the previous entry. As where Flip Flappers' OP peaks much harder in the animation department, I'd say this one is much more consistent throughout. I also prefer the music here, and the artstyle is fresher.

Quality of the show itself is another story. This is a relatively forgotten Magical Girl deconstruction series from the mid 10's that kinda flopped a bit. Justifiably so, in my opinion. I'm currently watching the series, and I find it only so-so, but the opening makes it a lot easier of a watch.


#50 - Amanchu! - Million Clouds

https://animethemes.moe/video/Amanchu-OP1.webm
The big number 50 is here! And I had to celebrate with one of my absolute favorites!

If I'm gonna be maximum biased, this would be like top 10 easy. But I yet have a shred of critical thinking in me, and unfortunately, this has to get shafted a fair bit.

But damn, check it out. Those first few seconds delivers the textbook feeling of pure serenity. And it only builds on that foundation, becoming a really nice tune by the end filled with nice imagery of the main character finding friendship through diving. Pure and sweet.

Ultimately, the OP makes the show seem way more laid-back than it actually is, being heavier on the comedy once you get into it, but it's still quality iyashikei all the same.


#49 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Sorairo Days

https://animethemes.moe/video/TengenToppaGurrenLagann-OP1.webm
Yeeeeah, we're bringng out the artillery. Quite literally, judging by that gif.

This one shouldn't need an introduction. It's a staple AniSong that's endured through some time by now. Heck, looking at this, I'm baffled this came out in 2007. That's a long time ago by now.

The song, Sorairo Days, should be recognizable to weebs far and wide, and everyone should be shouting GIGA DRILL BREAK at the top of their lungs together with me right now!

GI-


#48 - Sasami-san@Ganbaranai - Alteration

https://animethemes.moe/video/SasamiSanAtGanbaranai-OP1.webm
Four entries ago, I mentioned that ZAQ rarely ever goes wrong. That still holds true here, with another banger for another OP.

This show was weird. Everything turns to chocolate in the first episode or something, and I think one of the characters had titty rockets?

Anyway, watch it. The OP is really cool, and the show is really cool, and the characters are really cool, and the music is re-


#47 - Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (2009) - Super Driver

https://animethemes.moe/video/SuzumiyaHaruhiNoYuuutsu2009-OP1.webm
Yoooo, it's Bunny Girl Senpai for boomers!

Jokes aside, Haruhi is one of the first anime I watched, way back in twothousandwhenever. It was an experience unlike any other, and seeing Mikuru in the magical girl maid costume in the first (broadcast order) episode is probably somewhat to blame for me turning out the way I have today.

That being said, Super Driver here is the opening for the show's second season, and it's great! Just look at it! It bombards you with the stuff everyone loves; words! Specifically, words like electron, fighting waitress, and stomp. The good stuff!


#46 - Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova - Savior of Song

https://animethemes.moe/video/AokiHaganeArsNova-OP1.webm
I may have said at the beginning of this list that Full CGI only belongs at the bottom. I may have not been entirely honest back then.

This is another one of those series I don't remember much of. There were boats and girls. Boat girls. And they're not the popular boat girls. They are other ones. Other girls that are also boats. Makes sense.

But this opening theme! Damn! It slaps harder than spanking fetishists on a Friday night. nano will always have the curse of only making OP and ED themes for mediocre and bad anime, but that's alright. The bangers are still bangers.


#45 - Senki Zesshou Symphogear G - Vitalization

https://animethemes.moe/video/SymphogearS2-OP2.webm
Ah, there it is. That was a looong gap between two Symphogear entries. All the way from #92, where I put season 4, AXZ. By no means is this the last one to appear here though, so stay tuned.

Now, this opening. I didn't actually like it a whole lot for a while, preferring pretty much every other Symphogear OP to this one. But what can I say, it's just grown on me a lot over the years. That and my investment in a more than decent bass speaker might have had an effect.
Visually, it's also decently pleasing. The middle bit is somewhat lacking in visual impact, but that's more than made up for with the starting bit and the climax when the chorus hits.

With nothing more to really add, here's a fun fact. I render the GIFs for the Symphogear entries on this list at 5 FPS above everything else to make it look better and more appealing.

Watch Symphogear.


#44 - Dr. Stone - Sangenshoku

https://animethemes.moe/video/DrStone-OP2.webm
Here's what might be the most recent entry in this ranking. I haven't actually checked if it is or not, but I'm just gonna go ahead and claim that. Makes  it more interesting, and gives me a hook to write about.

Thinking about it, this OP could conceivably be put even higher. This is also one that has grown on me, but it's done so after the ranking was finalized. The theme song has also entered my most heavy rotation on Spotify, and is sometimes even on repeat. It's that good.


#43 - Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo - Kuchizuke Diamond

https://animethemes.moe/video/YamadaKun-OP1.webm
Speaking of songs that are mainstays on my Spotify rotation, Kuchizuke Diamond by Weaver. However, this one has been in that seat of absolute bangers for far longer than the former entry. In fact, it wouldn't be a stretch for me to say this might be one of the AniSongs I've listened to the most out of almost any. It still being a joy to listen to whenever it comes on the shuffle must surely be an indication of its quality.

Let's not skip over the visuals. Because this OP carves out its own distinct look with this parchment-y slightly film grain-y style. There's undeniably more technical terms for those, but I don't know'em. It's distinct and recognizable, and looks really good as well.


#42 - Mob Psycho 100 II - 99.9

https://animethemes.moe/video/MobPsycho100S2-OP1-BD1080.webm
I know a few individuals are gonna be miffed with me putting this as low as 42nd.

I mean visually, it's pretty damn great. The first half is playful with the visuals, before the second half takes over as an absolute action spectacle that flows incredibly well. Along with the music, it's an overall incredible improvement over season 1's OP, which was also itself a great opening.

Really makes me hyped for what could be done for a third season of this show, which looks to be under production at this very moment if the internet is to be believed.


#41 - Shingeki no Kyojin - Jiyuu no Tsubasa

https://animethemes.moe/video/ShingekiNoKyojin-OP2.webm
I had to squeeze in an Attack on Titan theme somewhere on here. And I just had to go with my personal feelings on this one.

It always felt like Jiyuu no Tsubasa was constantly overshadowed by its big brother Guren no Yumiya, the show's first OP. At the time when AoT first aired, the hype was all over it. And especially so on the incredibly meme-able OP1 that got all the spotlight.
But let's not kid ourselves here. The better theme is this one right here. Admittedly it has a lot more faux-German than its predecessor, which may be (is) a turn-off to some, but I swear, it could make a boulder shake with the pure hype it instills into the listeners.

Visually, there's so much stuff happening. You can probably watch it in its entirety several times and not catch everything due to the breakneck pace of the cuts and the action. And it's all so damn good-looking all throughout. Damn, what a good opening.

----

Aight, that should be it. Tag me somewhere if you wanna yell at me for having superior opinions.
Part 4 will come out sometime between tomorrow and New Year's Eve 2025. Look forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment